Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Binding


The quilt is squared up, the edges are trimmed, the binding is sewn on by machine and it's all been pressed. Now it's time to hand stitch the binding over to the back. I actually like this part. I love handwork and sewing binding is a finishing step, so there's a feeling of accomplishment. It means the quilt is almost complete. Of course with this quilt there must be a sleeve sewn to the top of the back. I keep several sleeves of muslin in a quilt drawer and use them over and over for shows. They are of varying sizes and I just fold under what I don't need for that particular quilt. It saves time not having to remake a sleeve since I don't keep them on the quilt after a show. Most of my quilts are hung in my home with a quilt hanger that presses the quilt between two boards and screws down to make them tight. Someday I'll post a picture of one. Meanwhile, it's back to the binding. How long it takes to handstitch a binding on is determined by how many movies can be watched. In other words is this quilt a one or two movie binding? That's the way I've done it for years!!! I think this will be a 1 1/2 movie quilt binding.

No comments: